SNO's mission includes the following:
- Support the development of sustainable nanotechnology for the improvement of society, the environment and human health.
- Promote the advancement and application of scientific research related to nanotechnology, implementation of sustainable nanotechnology for environment, health, and safety, and the use of nanotechnology in policy and decision-making.
- Provide a forum where scientists, engineers, and other professionals exchange information and ideas for the development and use of nanotechnology leading to overall sustainability.
Sustainable Nanotechnology Organization embraces related fields of study such as:
- Materials Science & Engineering
- Environmental Sciences and Engineering
- Biological Sciences
- Product life cycle assessment
- Nanomanufacturing/nanotechnology products
- Social Science