At the turn of the 21st century, the enormous progress in the fields of photonics, materials sciences, and nanofabrication resulted in the emergence of a new class of unique optical media - metamaterials. "Meta" in Greek means "beyond." Indeed, these new man-made optical structures pioneered by Sir John Pendry and Victor Veselago already transformed modern optics and are likely to enable revolutionary applications.
The workshop will bring together a group of world-class specialists and young researchers specializing in such diverse areas of optical physics as advanced materials, ultrafast optical phenomena, singular optics and quantum computing in order to map new directions and build new diversified collaborative efforts.
Some of the main goals of this workshop are:
- Capturing the state-of-the-art and novel ideas in the fields of novel materials, phenomena, and emerging applications and developing a roadmap for future breakthrough in the Science of Light.
- Initiating and establishing new collaborative projects with other leading national and international research institutions, national laboratories, and industrial researchers.
- Building a foundation for submission of large research proposals such as Multidisciplinary University Research Initiatives (MURI).
Specific themes to be discussed at the workshop include:
- Advanced metamaterials, plasmonics, and transformation optics
- New material platforms for integrated electronic and photonic circuitry
- Coherent metamaterials
- Ultrafast phenomena and pulse shaping in new materials
- Chaos and Anderson localization of photons in new optical materials
- Singular Optics
- Phase-changing optical materials
- New solitons in metamaterials
- Nonlinear Optoelectronics
- Quantum metamaterials and Quantum Information Technology
- Novel Applications
Organizing and Technical Program Committee
- Vlad Shalaev (Purdue University, USA) - chair
Andrew Weiner (Purdue University, USA)
Mordechai Segev (Technion, Israel Institute of Technology, Israel)
Natalia Litchinitser (SUNY Buffalo, USA)
Ildar Gabitov (University of Arizona and SMU, USA)
Alexandra Boltasseva (Purdue University, USA)
Evgenii Narimanov (Purdue University, USA)
Gerhard Klimeck (Purdue University, USA)
Margarita Contreni (Purdue University, USA)
Geni Greiner (Purdue University, USA)
Thomas L. Robertson (Purdue University, USA)
Mark Thoreson (Purdue University, USA)
Alex Kildishev (Purdue University, USA)
Misha Shalaginov (Purdue University, USA) Jaime Turner (Purdue University, USA)
Nancy Black (Purdue University, USA)
Vlad Iakhnine (Toronto, Canada) - Web support
Burton Morgan, Rm 121, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN