This lab consists of activities designed to teach students about ferrofluids and how nanotechnology can be used to modify the properties of magnetic materials.
The entire bundle can be downloaded by clicking on the download link in the upper right or compontents can be individually downloaded by visiting the Supporting Docs tab.
Synthesize a ferrofluid.
Investigate the properties of a material that acts differently when it is nanometer sized to create a model to explain the forces between objects.
- Dancing Magnets - Ferrofluid Lab Activity, including:
- Pre-Lab and Safety/Hazards Assignment
- Background Information
- Student Report Sheet
- Dancing Magnets - Ferrofluid Lab Instructor Guide, including:
- Alignment to Next Generation Science Standards
- Instructor Procedures for Pre-Lab preparation
- Sample Calculations and Instructor Notes
- SDS: Safety Data Sheets for the Dancing Magnets - Ferrofluids Lab
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant Number 1204279. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
SHINE: Seattle's Hub for Industry-driven Nanotechnology Education
- nanotechnology education