This learning module allows you to explore micro and nano-sized pressure sensors - their applications, design and fabrication, and operation. Because the Wheatstone bridge (a specialized electronic circuit) is used as the sensing circuit of such pressure sensors, the module also goes into detail as to how this circuit works and how it is used to sense minute changes in pressure.
The contents of this learning module include:
- Knowledge Probe (Pre-test to determine your current knowledge)
- Reading material: Wheatstone Bridge Overview
- Presentation: Wheatstone Bridge Overview (supports the reading material)
- Activity: Modeling a Micro Pressure Sensor
- Presentation: Modeling a Micro Pressure Sensor (supports the activity)
- Activity: Wheatstone Bridge Derivation
- Final Assessment
There are instructor materials to support this activity and they are available here.
This work made possible by Southwest Center for Microsystems Education (SCME), a National Science Foundation (NSF) funded Center through DUE grants #0830384, 0902411, and 1205138. Any opinions, findings and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the authors and creators, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the NSF.
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
Southwest Center for Microsystems Education, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM