This learning module provides a timeline of the progression of microtechnology through a series of innovations that starts with the first Point Contact Transistor built in 1947 and ends with the optical network switch in 1999. Activities provide the opportunity to build on this timeline and to identify innovations of the 21st century that have contributed to current advancements in both micro and nanotechnology.
This learning module includes the following.
- Learning Module Map (Guide for Instructor)
- Knowledge Probe (Pre-test)
- Reading: History of MEMS
- Presentation: History of MEMS (pptx)
- Activity: History of MEMS
- Activity: New Innovations in MEMS
Student materials for this learning module are available here.