In order to grasp many of the concepts associated with micro and nano-size devices, one needs to understand scale and the size of objects associated with different scales. This learning module introduces various concepts associated with scale, and a comparison of the macro, micro, and nano-scales. Activities provide the opportunity to further explore the macro, micro and nano scales and their associations with micro and nanotechnology.
This learning module consists of the following.
- Pre-test: Knowledge Probe
- Reading: Comparison of Scale - Macro, Micro, Nano
- Presentation: Comparison of Scale - Macro, Micro, Nano (pdf)
- Presentation: Introduction to Cut-To-Size Activity (ppsm)
- Activity: Cut-To-Size
- Activity: Scale of Biomolecules
- Activity: Zoom In/Zoom Out
Instructor materials for this learning module are available here.
This work made possible by Southwest Center for Microsystems Education (SCME), a National Science Foundation (NSF) funded Center through DUE grants #0830384, 0902411, and 1205138. Any opinions, findings and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the authors and creators, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the NSF.
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows: