This learning module introduces a systematic approach to solving problems by using a six-step process. This approach is used throughout industry to solve simple to complex problems. Activities provide the opportunities to apply this six-step process in a real life situation as well as a MEMS process problem.
MEMS (MicroElectroMechanical System)
This learning modules contains the following:
- Activity: Thinking Creatively
- Reading: A Systematic Approach to Problem Solving
- Activity: Brainstorming
- Presentation: Brainstorming (pdf)
- Activity: The Lawn (Apply the six-step approach)
- Reading: Problem Solving Tools
- Presentation: Problem Solving Tools (pdf)
- Presentation: Process Flowchart (pdf)
- Presentation: Checklist (pdf)
- Presentation: Control Charts (pdf)
- Activity: A MEMS Process Problem
- Presentation: Using MEMS Processes to Teach a 6-Step Approach to Solving Problems (pdf)
Instructor materials for this learning module are available here.
This work made possible by Southwest Center for Microsystems Education (SCME), a National Science Foundation (NSF) funded Center through DUE grants #0830384, 0902411, and 1205138. Any opinions, findings and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the authors and creators, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the NSF.
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
Southwest Center for Microsystems Education, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM