This learning module provides an overview of DNA microarrays - types of arrays, applications, interpretation, design, and fabrication. Activities provide the opportunity for students to gain a better understanding of these concepts as well as to discuss the ethical questions surrounding some of the applications and possibilities of these arrays.
The contents of this learning module include:
- Pre-test: Knowledge Probe
- Reading Material: DNA Microarray Primary Knowledge
- Presentation: DNA Microarray Overview (pdf)
- Activity: DNA Hybridization
- Activity: DNA Microarray Terminology
- Activity: DNA Microarray Model (Requires a kit - See the activity)
- Activity: DNA Microarray - An Ethical Dilemma?
- Final Assessment
Instructor materials for this learning module are available here.
This work made possible by Southwest Center for Microsystems Education (SCME), a National Science Foundation (NSF) funded Center through DUE grants #0830384, 0902411, and 1205138. Any opinions, findings and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the authors and creators, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the NSF.
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows: