No results found.
- The general problem of cell entry
- Choosing modes of cell entry
- How does Nature do it? (biomimetics)
- Non-specific uptake mechanisms
- Pinocytosis by all cells
- Phagocytosis by some cells
- Receptor mediated uptake
- Receptor mediated transport of desired molecules
- Example- transferrin receptor transport of iron for metabolism
- Nanoparticle uptake
- Size matters
- Agglomeration reduces uptake
- Drug delivery by "shedding"
- Extracellular drug delivery by shedding
- Intracellular drug release by shedding
- General reference: Alberts et al., Molecular Biology of the Cell. Garland Science 4th Edition, New York, pp. 747-756. 2002.
- Becker, C., Hodenius, M., Blendingera, G., Sechi, A., Hieronymus, T., Müller-Schulte, D., Schmitz-Rode, T., Zenke, M. “Uptake of magnetic nanoparticles into cells for cell tracking.” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials Volume 311(1): 234-237, 2007.
- Dawson, G.F., Halbert, G.W. “The In Vitro Cell Association of Invasin Coated Polylactide-Co-Glycolide Nanoparticles.” Pharmaceutical Research, Vol. 17, No. 11, 1420-1425, 2000
- Limbach, L., Yuchun, L., Grass, R.N., Brunner, T., Hintermann, M.A., Muller, M., Gunther, D., Stark, W.J. “Oxide Nanoparticle Uptake in Human Lung Fibroblasts: Effects of Particle Size, Agglomeration, and Diffusion at Low Concentrations.” Environ. Sci. Technol. 39: 9370-9376, 2005.
- Medina, C., Santos-Martinez, M.J., Radomski, A., Corrigan, O.I., Radomski1, M.W. “Nanoparticles: pharmacological and toxicological significance.” British Journal of Pharmacology 150, 552–558, 2007
- Mousavi, S.A., Malerod, L., Berg, T., Kjeken, R. “REVIEW ARTICLE: Clathrin-dependent endocytosis.” Biochemical Journal Immediate Publication. Published on 23 Sep 2003 as manuscript BJ20031000
- Nori, A., Kopecek, J. “Intracellular targeting of polymer-bound drugs for cancer chemotherapy.” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews 57: 609– 636, 2005
- Romberg, B., Hennink, W.E., Storm, G.. “Sheddable Coatings for Long-Circulating Nanoparticles.” Pharmaceutical Research DOI: 10.1007/s11095-007-9348-7, 2007
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
James Leary (2007), "BME 695N Lecture 7: Normal & facilitated cell entry mechanisms," https://nanohub.org/resources/3241.
Biomedical Engineering Building, Room 1083