This tool version is unpublished and cannot be run. If you would like to have this version staged, you can put a request through HUB Support.
The 1D Heterostructure Tool is a program for the design and simulation of 1D heterostructures.
It currently implements the effective mass bandstructure model and parameters for materials belonging to GaAs substrate such as GaP, InAs, AlGaAs etc.. The user can also choose to use the semiclassical Fermi-Dirac distribution which can be faster on bigger devices.
A friendly GUI has been implemented in order to easily design the heterostructure to be simulated. It is possible to define a new device in a few mouse clicks. The layers can be easily duplicated by means of “Copy and Paste” features and the heterostructure energy band can be visualized before the simulation is launched.
A short guide follows: Define the heterostructure and click on “Update Visualization” to visualize the entered structure Click on “Accept Geometry” and a second tab will appear. Modify the simulation numerical parameters (if needed) and click on “Simulate”
Improvements / modifications in subsequent releases:
- 0.1 – The charge calculation for the low temperature case has been corrected.
- 0.2 – Plotting of data has been improved and should now be much faster.
- 0.3 – Fermi-Dirac distribution implemented.
- 0 – Complete overhaul of the structure entry. A friendly Tcl/Tk GUI implemented in which materials can be added to a simple, table-based list from a material list defined in a database. The list is currently limited to materials grown unstrained on a GaAs substrate. The computational kernel is modified to take into account many different materials. There are 2 different HFET designs, as QWIP design and QCL design provided as an input.
- 0.1 – The density graph has been improved.
the following improvements are planned: multi-band models based on empirical tight binding more substrates, with more materials.
|M. Luisier||... Core Matlab simulator|
|J.M. Sellier||... Tcl/Tk GUI, Rappture GUI (from 1.0.3 on), Matlab code fixes, Core development (from 1.0.3 on)|
|G. Klimeck||... Scientific directions, GUI and Algorithm Design|
|S. Agarwal, X. Wang||... Matlab Code adaptations, initial Rappture GUI (down to 1.0.2)|
|D. Vasileska||... Scientific directions and testing|
MSD FCRP, NCN@Purdue
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows: