- The reputation of a lethargic and stagnant energy industry is largely a mischaracterization and has been for several decades. In reality, changes in the industry, specifically environmental improvements, are dramatic and very hard won.
- The challenges of the past pale in comparison to those of the future. There has never been a greater need for capable, well-trained, and innovative engineers in the industry.
- While renewable energy is essential and its expansion is important, solutions that rely entirely on renewable resources will require miraculous technology development.
- There is ample opportunity for solutions that involve continued use of some fossil energy.
- Ultimately, sustainability is going to require all of the following: increased renewable energy, increased nuclear power, better fossil energy, and a change in lifestyle.
- The leaders that can accomplish these goals are possibly among today's students and have a perhaps unprecedented challenge ahead of them.
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
(2008), "Sustainability: Less Talk - More Engineering," https://nanohub.org/resources/5556.
Potter 234 (Fu Room), Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN