Imperfections in Solids
ISSUES TO ADDRESS...
- What types of defects arise in solids? Describe them
- Can the number and type of defects be varied and controlled?
- How do defects affect material properties?
- Are defects undesirable
Given masses or atomic weights of two or more elements in an alloy, calculate weight or atomic percentages.
- Lattice Defects
- Types of Imperfections
- Length Scale of Imperfections
- Point Defects
- Point Defects in Ceramics
- Frenkel and Schottky Defects: paired anions and cations
- Ionic Crystals and Impurities: Interstitial, anion-substitutional, cation-substitutional
- Equilibrium Concentration of Point Defects
- Measuring Activation Energy
- Estimating Vacancy Concentration
- Observing Equil. Vacancy Concentration
- Radiation damage creates numerous defects
- Volumetric Defects from Radiation Damage
- Alloying: atoms mixed on a lattice Solid Solutions and Ordered Compounds
- Particles of New Phase in Solid-Solution Alloys
- Hume-Rothery Rules for Alloys (atoms mixing on a lattice)
- Hume-Rothery Rules for Mixing
- Hume-Rothery Empirical Rules In Action
- Alloying A Surface: Sn on Cu
- Defining Composition of Alloy