One of the primary goals of the NCN Education and Assessment Group is to allow insights from engineering education research to diffuse into the engineering curricula. This resource is designed to provide faculty members designing a course using nanoHUB resources a quick introduction to the How People Learn [see references] framework. We raise the following fundamental questions that are critical to think about when designing course content using the nanoHUB.
1. What makes an effective learning environment?
2. What factors influence student learning?
3. What opportunities exist for my students?
This resource also attempts to help you establish links between how you write learning objectives, how you seek evidence for student learning through assessment, and the actual implementation of materials in the curriculum.
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
- Brophy, S. (NCN Education and Assessment Group) (2009). How People Learn 101: Theory and Practice. Presentation at the NCN Simulation-based Learning Workshop. Chicago, IL.
- simulation-based learning
- teaching and learning
- evidence-based learning
- engineering education