ABACUS - Assembly of Basic Applications for Coordinated Understanding of Semiconductors Development Group
This resource belongs to the ABACUS - Assembly of Basic Applications for Coordinated Understanding of Semiconductors Development Group group.
- Periodic Potentials and the Kronig-Penney Model
- Quantum Mechanics: Periodic Potentials and Kronig-Penney Model
- Slides: Kronig-Penney Model Explained
- Tight-Binding Band Structure Calculation Method
- Tight-Binding Analysis Tool
- General Tight-Binding Analysis Tool
- Periodic Potential Lab Demonstration: Standard Kroenig-Penney Model
- Computational Nanoscience, Lecture 17: Tight-Binding, and Moving Towards Density Functional Theory
- Brillouin Zone Viewer
The objective of this exercise is to start with the simple Kronig-Penney model and understand formations of bands and gaps in the dispersion relation that describes the motion of carriers in 1D periodic potentials. The second exercise examines the behavior of the bands at the Brillouin zone boundaries. Finally, a simplified tight-binding approach for 1D lattice has to be derived as part of the third exercise..
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
Dragica Vasileska; Gerhard Klimeck (2010), "ABACUS Exercise: Bandstructure – Kronig-Penney Model and Tight-Binding Exercise," https://nanohub.org/resources/9372.