You must login before you can run this tool.
The Bound States Calculation Lab determines the bound states and the corresponding wavefunctions in a finite square well, harmonic, triangular and v-shaped potential energies. Maximum number of eigenstates that can be calculated numerically is restricted to 20. For better understanding the physics behind the bound-state calculation lab that numerically solves for the eigenstates and the eigenfunctions of the 4 well confinements, we have also provided the following reading material:
We further give the analytical solutions to the eigenvalue problem for infinite square well, parabolic and triangular confinement.
Also, we have prepared a number of exercises that demonstrate the full potential of this tool and also motivate the students to develop analytical skills to solving this type of problems:
- Exercise: Bound States Calculation
- Exercise: Brute-Force Approach Applied to Harmonic Oscillator Problem and Coulomb Potential in 1D
- Exercise: Operator Approach to Harmonic Oscillator Problem
Upgrades from previous versions:
- Version 1.0.1: Fixed a bug which crashed the code for larger parabolic confinements. This was a bug identified by a user and posted as a question.
- Version 1.0.3: Introduced a new plot of the eigen-energy as a function of occurrance in a wish.
- Version 1.0.4: Added analytical solutions for infinite square well, parabolic confinement, triangular and V-shaped wells for comparison.
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
1. Lecture notes on Quantum Mechanics prepared by Dragica Vasileska (www.eas.asu.edu/~vasilesk)