By completing the Carrier-Statistics Lab in ABACUS - Assembly of Basic Applications for Coordinated Understanding of Semiconductors, you will be able to:
a) understand Fermi-Dirac and Maxwell-Boltzman statistics,
b) describe effects of doping (shifting of fermi level) and density of states on carrier distribution (electrons and holes).
c) study dependence of carrier concentration on temperature.
The specific objectives of the Carrier Statistics Lab are:
If you have not had experience with carrier statistics , here is a list of resources that will help you have the required knowledge to get the most of these materials:
1. Rober F. Pierret, Semiconductor Device Fundamentals (Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 2000). (Chapter 2)
* ECE 606 Lecture 9: Fermi-Dirac Statistics (Graduate level)
* ECE 606 Lecture 11: Equilibrium Statistics (Graduate level)
* ECE 606 Lecture 12: Equilibrium Concentrations (Graduate level)
* Statistical Mechanics (Advanced)
Exercises and Homework Assignments
Solutions to Exercises
Solutions to exercises are provided to Instructors ONLY!
Take a Test
Solve the Challenge
In this final challenge you will integrate all what you have learned about Carrier Statistics.