How to Download Closed Captioning Text Files (.SBV)
- You may also be interested in downloading the actual closed captioning text, for instance if you would like to compile video text into a book. In order to do this, follow the instructions below.
- NOTE: You may only download CC text for videos you upload onto your own YouTube account.
- Login to your YouTube account.
- Under your account name, click on “Videos”.
- Select the video for which you would like to obtain CC text.
- In the menu bar at the top, click on “Edit captions/subtitles.”
- Under “Available Caption Tracks”, you will see “English: Machine Transcription”. Click on “Download.”
- An SBV file will be downloaded to your computer.
How to Open/Edit an SBV File
- Follow the instructions above to download the SBV file.
- The SBV file extension is a file type used by YouTube.
- It contains both the CC text as well as the timestamp for when the text is displayed.
- The SBV file can be opened with a simple text editor such as Notepad or TextEdit.