By completing the PN-Junction Lab in [[Resource(5065)]], you will be able to:
a) conduct drift-diffusion modeling,
b) describe the physical and mathematical operation of PN-Junctions, and
c) build and validate a simple PN Junction simulation tool.
The specific objectives of the PN-Junction Lab are:
== Recommended Reading ==
If you have not had experience with pn-junction physics and modeling, here is a list of resources that will help you have the required knowledge to get the most of these materials:
1. Rober F. Pierret, Semiconductor Device Fundamentals (Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 2000). (theory of pn-diodes)
2. Michael Shur, Physics of Semiconductor Devices (Prentice Hall, 1990). (theory of pn-diodes)
3. Dragica Vasileska, Stephen M. Goodnick and G. Klimeck: Computational Electronics: Semiclassical and Quantum Device Modeling and Simulation, (CRC Press, 2010). (modeling of pn-diodes)
== Demo ==
== Theoretical descriptions ==
* [[Resource(9094)]] (physical, analytical model)
* [[Resource(8797)]] (simulation)
* [[Resource(9098)]] (computational model)
* [[Resource(9092)]] (implementation details and source code dissemination)
== Tool Verification ==
Verification of the pn-junction tool is done by comparison of the simulation results for the electric field in equilibrium with the depletion charge approximation results. This verification process can be done while running the tool only, as it superimposes the depletion charge approximation results.
== Worked Examples ==
The following [[Resource(9096)]] are described in detail:
Example 1: Equilibrium PN-Junction
Example 2: PN-Junction Under Bias
Example 3: Non-Symmetric Junction
Example 4: Series Resistance
== Exercises and Homework Assignments ==
== Solutions to Exercises ==
Solutions to exercises are provided to Instructors ONLY!
== Take a Test ==
This test will assess your conceptual understanding of the physical, mathematical and computational knowledge related to operation and modeling of PN Junctions operation.
== Solve the Challenge ==
In this final challenge you will integrate all what you have learned about PN Junction.