Quantum Dot Lab Learning Materials
By completing the Quantum Dot Lab, you will be able to:
a) understand the 3D confinement of carriers in a quantum dot,
b) describe effects of geometry of a quantum dot on the energy states of carriers,
c) study light absorption of a quantum dot
The specific objectives of the Quantum Dot Lab are:
If you have not had experience with quantum mechanics, listed below are the suggested reading materials:
1. D. K. Ferry, Quantum Mechanics: An Introduction for Device Physicists and Electrical Engineers, Second Edition (Institute of Physics Publishing, 2001).
2. P. Harrison, Quantum Wells, Wires and Dots: Theoretical and Computational Physics of Semiconductor Nanostructures (John Wiley & Sons, 2010).
3. Quantum dot, wikipedia – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_dot.
- Quantum dots
- Introduction to Quantum Dots and Modeling Needs/Requirements
- Nanoelectronic Modeling Lecture 29: Introduction to the NEMO3D Tool
Exercises and Homework Assignments
Solutions to Exercises
- Solutions to exercises are provided to Instructors ONLY!