ECE 606: Solid State Devices - Professors Muhammad A. Alam and Mark Lundstrom
This course was developed by Professor Mark Lundstrom using Professor Muhammad Alam’s lectures. It focuses on basic semiconductor physics and the physics of three important devices: 1) the PN junction, 2) the bipolar junction transistor (BJT), and 3) the metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor (MOSFET).
Brought to you by:
This course is about basic semiconductor physics and the physics of three important devices: 1) the PN junction, 2) the bipolar junction transistor (BJT), and 3) the metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor (MOSFET). The course is divided into three parts. The first part is an introduction to quantum mechanics and solid-state physics (energy bands, electrons and holes, the Fermi function), doping and carrier densities, carrier transport and generation-recombination, and the so-called semiconductor equations, which provide a complete, semi-classical, mathematical description of electrons and holes in semiconductors, subject to some important simplifying assumptions. The second part of the course applies these concepts to PN junctions and bipolar junction transistors (BJTs), and the third part treats the dominant electronic device today, the metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor (MOSFET).
The course covers a lot of ground, but it provides a basic understanding of semiconductors and devices, for those interested in circuits and applications, and a starting point for further studies, for those who intend to focus on electronic materials and devices.
For a useful collection of practice exams, see Prof. Robert Pierret’s: Exams for Semiconductor Device Fundamentals
- Week 1: Introduction / Geometry of Crystals
- Week 2: Quantum Mechanics / Schrodinger Equation (ASF 22-45)
- Week 3: Energy Bands / Energy Bands in 3D Crystals
- Week 4: Density of States / Fermi-Dirac Statistics
- Week 5: Doping / Equilibrium Statistics / Carrier Conc.
- Week 6: Recombination-Generation, Bulk and Surface
- Week 7: Carrier Transport / Semiconductor Equations
- Week 8: PN and MS Diode Electrostatics / I-V Characteristics
- Week 9: PN Junctions – non-ideal / AC Resp. / Trans
- Week 10: Bipolar Transistors
- Week 11: References and Supplementary Information
- Week 12: MOS Electrostatics
- Week 13: MOSFETS: Ideal
- Week 14: MOSFETS: Nonideal
- Week 15: Course Wrap-up
- Finals Week
The Final Exam is not comprehensive – Exam 6 is much like Exams 1-5.
- Exam 6