Coral Name: STS_ASE
FIC: Dimitrios Peroulis
Process/Equipment Owner: Bill Sheldon
Location: Cleanroom-Bay L
Max Wafer Size: 6
This system is used to anisotropically etch Silicon substrates.
The STS Deep Reactive Ion Etch (DRIE) system uses SF6/O2 for etching and C4F8 for passivation. It is designed to provide high-aspect-ratio using inductively coupled plasma (ICP) and Bosch process. Has the SOI option.
· Positive photo resist, silicon nitride and silicon oxide can be used as a mask.
· Any type of negative photo resist, e-beam PR, polymer, polyimide, resin, and any type of metal are absolutely not allowed due to contamination!!!
· 6” silicon wafer can only be loaded in the system, so for any wafer which less than 6” you will need to bond to a 6” carrier wafer. Use thick photo resist such as AZ 4620 or AZ 9260 following a hard bake in a 120C oven for at least 15-30min. You can also use “Crystalbond 555” adhesive for mounting your wafer to the 6” wafer. Please make sure that your wafer is properly bonded to the 6” carrier wafer.
· You should have thick photo resist as well as silicon oxide on your 6” carrier substrate as a etch stop, If you would like to etch deep trench or all through >500um.
· When bonding, make sure that there is not any photo resist on the backside of the carrier. This causes poor backside cooling and/or high helium leak rates.
· It is recommended to do oxygen cleaning for 15min before starting your process in order to clean the process chamber.
* Must install Coral and be a trained user to reserve a slot on this system.