• Discoverability Visible
  • Join Policy Invite Only
  • Created 29 Jun 2010

Which Make Files are System Dependent?

Tags On This Discussion

(none)

1. Sapan Agarwal

Hi,

I’m trying to get Nemo to compile on Carver at NERSC (Lawrence Berkeley National Lab) and I was wondering which make files are dependent on the particular system. To me it seems that the key makefiles that I need to edit are ./make.inc (created by ./configure.sh from ./make.inc.template) and a system dependent makefile in ./mkfiles/.

It looks like ./configure.sh also updates ./prototype/make.common to set the home directory but that is it.

Do I need to update any of the other makefiles?

Also, I could not find the /prototype/doc folder in the source code uploaded in the resources section for the doxygen documentation.

Thank you, Sapan

Report abuse

2. James Fonseca

Hi Sapan, We are generally able to build on new systems by editing only the configuration file in the mkfiles directory. Looking at the Carver system, my best guess would be to start from the make.inc.coates-intel64-mpich2 configuration file. Specific systems like Jaguar and Kraken sometimes require us to add special cases in the other Makefiles…

You’re right.. Thanks for catching that. I will add the new source code revision with the doc directory included this afternoon. It will be revision 8108. https://nanohub.org/resources/13244 Jim

Report abuse

3. Michael Povolotskyi

Hi Sapan, basically you need to customize make.inc for your system. The system dependent files make.inc.coates-intel64-mpich2 are to make make.inc more readable. So, I suggest you create something like make.inc.carver.

Michael.

Report abuse

nanoHUB.org, a resource for nanoscience and nanotechnology, is supported by the National Science Foundation and other funding agencies. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.