This lab consists of demonstrations designed to teach students of any age about nanotechnology principles. Labs include Scale and Size, Thin Films, Ferrofluid, Magic Sand, Memory Wire, and Liquid Crystals. They can be used individually or in conjunction with each other. Most of the materials can be purchased through www.teachersource.com.
The entire bundle can be downloaded by clicking on the download link in the upper right or compontents can be individually downloaded by visiting the Supporting Docs tab.
- To understand that properties (physical, chemical, and biological) are different at the nanoscale than they are at the macro scale
- To understand how the properties of nanoscale materials are used in various applications
- To understand how natural nanoscale phenomena can be replicated or mimicked to advance technology
- To understand how nanotechnology integrates biology, chemistry, physics, electronics, environmental sciences, engineering, etc.
- Presentation Slides
- Nanotechnology Principles Lab activity
- MSDS: Materials Safety Data Sheet
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant Number 1204279. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
Brian Rucci, Kristine Schroeder
SHINE: Seattle's Hub for Industry-driven Nanotechnology Education