This learning module is an introduction to the common processes used to deposit thin films for the fabrication of micro-size devices. Thermal oxidation and several types of deposition are discussed. Activities provide further exploration into these processes as well as the properties and applications of the thin films deposited.
This learning modules contains the following.
- Learning Module Map (Suggested outline for instructor)
- Pre-Test: Knowledge Probe
- Reading: Deposition Overview for Microsystems
- Presentation: Deposition Overview
- Activity: Terminology
- Activity: Science of Thin Films
- Presentation: Science of Thin Films Activity
- Activity: Deposition Research
Student materials for this learning module are available here.
Southwest Center for Microsystems Education, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM