This learning module introduces the science of crystallography and its importance to microtechnology and the fabrication of microelectromechanical systems (MEMS). Four activities are provided that allow students to further explore several concepts of this science and "see" the formation of crystals and crystal planes.
This learning module include the following instructor materials and guides.
- Learning Module Map (Guide for Instructor)
- Pre-test (Knowledge Probe)
- Reading: Crystallography Overview for MEMS
- Presentation: Crystallography Overview for MEMS (pptx)
- Activity: The Miller Index
- Activity: Growing Crystals - Hot Ice Activity
- Activity: Breaking Wafers
- Activity: An Origami Crystal
- Final Assessment
Student materials for this learning module are available here.
Southwest Center for Microsystems Education, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM