This learning module introduces the science of crystallography and its importance to microtechnology and the fabrication of microelectromechanical systems (MEMS). Four activities are provided that allow you to further explore several concepts of this science and "see" the formation of crystals and crystal planes.
This learning module includes the following.
- Pre-test (Knowledge Probe)
- Reading: Crystallography Overview for MEMS
- Presentation: Crystallography Overview for MEMS (pdf)
- Activity: The Miller index
- Activity: Growing Crystals - Hot Ice
- Activity: Breaking Wafers
- Activity: An Origami Crystal
- Final Assessment
Instructor materials for this learning module are available here.
This work made possible by Southwest Center for Microsystems Education (SCME), a National Science Foundation (NSF) funded Center through DUE grants #0830384, 0902411, and 1205138. Any opinions, findings and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the authors and creators, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the NSF.
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows: