- Introduction and overview
- Some of the advantages of therapeutic genes
- Some of the advantages of molecular biosensor feedback control systems
- Why a nanodelivery approach is appropriate
- The therapeutic gene approach
- What constitutes a "therapeutic gene" ?
- Transient versus stable expression modes
- Molecular feedback control systems
- Drug delivery has traditionally not used feedback controls
- Why feedback control might be a very good idea!
- Positive or negative feedback?
- Molecular Biosensors as a component of a nanomedicine feedback control system
- What is a molecular biosensor?
- How a molecular biosensor functions as a therapeutic gene switch
- Building integrated molecular biosensor/gene delivery systems –some examples
- Required components
- Example of a ribozyme/antivirus system
- Example of an ARE biosensor/DNA repair system
- Prow, T.W., Kotov, N.A., Lvov, Y.M., Rijnbrand, R., Leary, J.F. “Nanoparticles, Molecular Biosensors, and Multispectral Confocal Microscopy” Journal of Molecular Histology, Vol. 35, No.6, pp. 555-564, 2004.
- Prow,T.W., Salazar, J.H., Rose, W.A., Smith, J.N., Reece, L.M., Fontenot, A.A., Wang, N.A., Lloyd, R.S., Leary, J.F. "Nanomedicine – nanoparticles, molecular biosensors and targeted gene/drug delivery for combined single-cell diagnostics and therapeutics" Proc. of SPIE 5318: 1-11, 2004.
- Prow, T.W., Rose, W.A., Wang, N., Reece, L.M., Lvov, Y., Leary, J.F. "Biosensor-Controlled Gene Therapy/Drug Delivery with Nanoparticles for Nanomedicine" Proc. of SPIE 5692: 199 – 208, 2005.
- Prow, T.W., Smith, J.N., Grebe, R., Salazar, J.H., Wang, N., Kotov, N., Lutty, G., Leary, J.F. "Construction, Gene Delivery, and Expression of DNA Tethered Nanoparticles" Molecular Vision 12: 606-615, 2006
- Prow, T.W., Grebe, R., Merges, C., Smith, J.N., McLeod, D.S., Leary, J.F., Gerard A. Lutty, G.A. "Novel therapeutic gene regulation by genetic biosensor tethered to magnetic nanoparticles for the detection and treatment of retinopathy of prematurity" Molecular Vision 12: 616-625, 2006.
- Prow, T.W. “Nanomedicine – Targeted Nanoparticles for the delivery of Biosensors and Therapeutic Genes” PhD Thesis, University of Texas Medical Branch, January 2004.
Biomedical Engineering, Room 1083