This set of lecture notes is intended to help students learn the basics of PN junction theory and modeling. The following topics are covered: equilibrium analysis of step junctions and linearly-graded junctions, ideal current-voltage (I-V) characteristics, generation and recombination currents in non-ideal diodes, and the numerical analysis of PN junctions.
This series is a set of materials formerly known as a "Learning Module." The presentations are meant to be viewed in sequence to get a full understanding of the topic. Please click on the following links in order to access each of the presentations in sequence.
- Review of PN-Junction Theory
- PN-Junction Modeling Using PADRE
- Example 1: Basic Diode Parameters
- Example 2: PN-Junction Under Bias
- Example 3: Non-symmetric Junction
- Exercise 1: Series Resistance
- Exercise 2: Short Diode
- Exercise 3: PIN Diode
- Advanced Exercise 1: Graded Junction (NO Solutions Provided)
- Advanced Exercise 2: Diffusion Capacitance (NO Solutions Provided)
- Homework Assignment
- Presentation Slides
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows: