ME 597/PHYS 570: Fundamentals of Atomic Force Microscopy (Fall 2009)
NanoHUB-U online course "Fundamentals of AFM" registering students now. CLICK HERE.
NOTE: An updated teaching of this course is available at ME 597/PHYS 570: Fundamentals of Atomic Force Microscopy (Fall 2010).
A course for students interested in learning the fundamentals underlying Atomic Force Microscopy.
There is really no required textbook for the course. A lot of the material is covered in individual lectures with a selection of key review and historical articles.
Here are some books that we recommend:
- C. Julian Chen, Introduction to Scanning Tunneling Microscopy, 2nd Edition (Oxford University Press, Oxford) 2008.
- J. Israelachvili, Intermolecular and surface forces, 2nd Edition, (Elsevier), 1991.
- E. Meyer, H. J. Hug, R. Bennewitz, Scanning Probe Microscopy – the lab on a tip, (Springer-Verlag) 2003.
- D. Sarid, Scanning Force Microscopy: with applications to electric, magnetic and atomic forces, Oxford Series in Optical and Imaging Sciences, (Oxford University Press, Oxford) 1994.
- V. J. Morris, A. P. Gunnig, A. R. Kirby, Atomic Force Microscopy for Biologists, (World Scientific) 1999.
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
Armstrong B71, Purdue University, West Lafayette