Why Mechanical Properties?
- Need to design materials that will withstand applied load and in-service uses for ...
Space exploration, Bridges for autos and people, skyscrapers, MEMS devices, Space elevator?
- Stress and strain
- Elastic and Plastic Deformation of Metals
- Strain Testing
- Hooke’s Law
- Young’s Modulus, Poisson's ratio, Yield Stress, (Ultimate) Tensile Strength
- Temperature matters (see Failure)
- Ductility, Toughness, Resilience
- Useful Linear Elastic Relationships
- Complex States of Stress in 3D
- Ceramics Mechanical Properties
- Why use True Strain?
- Hardening, Hardness
- Account for Variability in Material Properties
- Design Safety Factors
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows: