a compact model for 2D TMD FET considering the effect of mobility degradation, interface traps, and insufficient doping in the source/drain extension regions
This work presents an analytical current–voltage model specifically formulated for 2-dimensional (2D) transition metal dichalcogenide (TMD) semiconductor based field-effect transistors (FETs). The model is derived from the fundamentals considering the physics of 2D TMD crystals, and covers all regions of the FET operation (linear, saturation, and subthreshold) under a continuous function. Moreover, three issues of great importance in the emerging 2D FET arena: interface traps, mobility degradation, and inefficient doping have been carefully considered. The compact models are verified against 2-D device simulations as well as experimental results for state-of-the-art top-gated monolayer TMD FETs, and can be easily employed for efficient exploration of circuits based on 2D FETs as well as for evaluation and optimization of 2D TMD-channel FET design and performance.
Model Release Components ( Show bundle contents ) Bundle
- UCSB 2D Transition-Metal-Dichalcogenide (TMD) FET model 1.0.0 Verilog-A(VA | 17 KB)
- UCSB 2D Transition-Metal-Dichalcogenide (TMD) FET model 1.0.0 Benchmarks(ZIP | 172 KB)
- UCSB 2D Transition-Metal-Dichalcogenide (TMD) FET model 1.0.0 Parameters(TXT | 54 B )
- UCSB 2D Transition-Metal-Dichalcogenide (TMD) FET model 1.0.0 Experimental Data(XLSX | 15 KB)
- UCSB 2D Transition-Metal-Dichalcogenide (TMD) FET model 1.0.0 Manual(PDF | 1 MB)
- W.Cao_ 2D TMD FET model.pdf(PDF | 2 MB)
- License terms
W. Cao, J. Kang, W. Liu and K. Banerjee, “A Compact Current–Voltage Model for 2D Semiconductor Based Field-Effect Transistors Considering Interface Traps, Mobility Degradation, and Inefficient Doping Effect,” IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 61, no. 12, pp. 4282-4290, 2014.
B. Radisavljevic, A. Radenovic, J. Brivio, V. Giacometti, and A. Kis, “Single-layer MoS2 transistors,” Nature Nanotechnology., vol. 6, pp. 147–150, Jan. 2011.
H. Fang, S. Chuang, T. C. Chang, K. Takei, T. Takahashi, and A. Javey, “High-performance single layered WSe2 p-FETs with chemically doped contacts,” Nano Lett., vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 3788–3792, Jun. 2012.
W. Liu, J. Kang, D. Sarkar, Y. Khatami, D. Jena, and K. Banerjee,“Role of metal contacts in designing high-performance monolayer n-type WSe2 field effect transistors,” Nano Lett., vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 1983–1990, Mar. 2013.
Jooyoung Song, Bo Yu, Yu Yuan, and Yuan Taur, “A Review on Compact Modeling of Multiple-Gate MOSFETs,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, vol. 56, no. 8, Aug. 2009.
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
- Cao, W., Banerjee, K. (2015). UCSB 2D Transition-Metal-Dichalcogenide (TMD) FET model. nanoHUB. doi:10.4231/D37940V7H
NEEDS: New Era Electronic Devices and Systems
This publication belongs to the NEEDS: New Era Electronic Devices and Systems group.